Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Older And Far Away..

Okay, maybe not that far. But Sri Hartamas can seem like worlds away from the comfort of Subang at times.

And I've been missing home. And YOU GUYS! And surprisingly, even school. Sarah supposes I'm craving all the familiar things, and so does Bel. Thanks guys for being there! You have no idea how just talking to you makes everything seem better at times. And thanks Lily for the shout out. Dunno about rocking the campus; I'm gonna try finding my way around it first.

But all good things in time.. =)

The campus is nice tho; Taylors Sri Hartamas seems to be tech savvy enough for our military to be envious. All homework and course materials are posted on an online forum called BB7 (blackboard 7). So this means that everyday after classes, I get to spend an enjoyable hour clicking on links trying to figure out if I've already printed a particular worksheet - yes, I'm just as inefficient as before. I will be working on that soon though. Well, hopefully.

The people here are pretty diverse too. The majority (the very LARGE majority) are from private schools (Sri Cempaka, Garden International, etc.) . So no one I knew - yet.

In classes, all the lecturers use Powerpoint slides to teach. EVERY lesson. And later, we have to download these slides and print them out as notes. Hey, lecturers do the notes for us here; can't complain now can I?

Still, although the world is largely pro-technology when it comes to education these days, I can't help but feel like I leant better the traditional chalk-and-board way. Maybe it takes some getting used to; but perhaps we shouldn't just write off old teaching methods as ineffective either.

Anyway, The Taylors hostel (or more precisely condo) is pretty nice, pretty comfortable and well, pretty. Kudos to Petronas for picking a good one. My apartment-mates are nice too. Clean, friendly, and WAY more capable at independant living than I am (almost all of them were from boarding school).


My condo-mates; clockwise from front left: Iyad, Azri, Akmal, Ashwin.

By the way, the reason I'm never online is because I've no Internet connection at the condo. I miss chatting with everyone! My roommate (Iyad) is a champion though. He's already working out how to apply for a connection - see?
capable-nya..

I won't lie. I'm looking forward to going home on Friday. But till then, I'm going to Just Dance. If you know what I mean..

P.s. everyone: text me, call me, drive over for a visit if you'd like! And words of encouragement can go in the comments link below. =D

1 comment:

Poirot1989 said...

Hey!

Welcome on board in serving this nation friend! The homesickness will die away soon enough. As time pass, you'll soon find yourself dragged into the vortex of collegial life that everything will seem so happy and dandy again. This is the time you should REALLY spread your wings. Learn everything. Try everything (within the constrains of accepted boundaries)!

During my stint in INTEC, I traveled to 4 different countries for debates and OMG, it was one the most cherished experience I ever had. =)

I am glad you guys have this blog. It reminds me exactly of why my friends and I started Coffeestops in the first place. Do drop by! And maybe our two sites can work something out.

Take care! And have fun!

Regards,
Jian Wei