Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Terrifying Ride on the Road

Hey peeps. Greetings from Makassar,South Sulawesi,Indonesia. I'm on holiday and I'll be here 'til late December. The horrible AS exam just ended last week so it's time to chillax.. YEAH!?!

So,it's been good here so far,with dad fussing over what I eat and all that. And gosh,you can't imagine what kind of a relief it is not having to go to Asia cafe and sit down and think of what to eat when there really isn't much choice for me because every shop seems to have the word "pork" on their menu. Dad even cooked for me last night.

Well,that's all there is for the fun part. Here comes the horror..

Yesterday was the first day I started my driving lesson. There I was thinking that they'd be "gentle" on a newbie like me. Maybe teach me all the fundamental basics before letting me drive the car. Boy was I wrong..

My lesson will last for 14 days,a 40-min on-the-road session each day. My first car,a Honda Jazz. Fine,it's not so big. Barely any bigger than the Kancil you may have used during your lessons. My instructor is this man who's got this really thick Makassar slang which makes it even harder for me because I could barely interpret what he wanted me to do. So,as if all that weren't intimidating enough,I was literally thrown into the congested road of Makassar. And believe me,you wouldn't want to experience what I did on your first practical lesson.

First,he showed me how to "use" the clutch. "Step harder" and "let go slowly". And that was all. Then he told me to get onto the road and start driving! *WTF* I was like,"are you serious"? I mean seriously.. I've never handled a car before and you expect me to know how to drive one?! I mean,I didn't even know you have to step on the clutch when you want to start the car or when I should change my gear. Talk about being cruel. And those Indonesian drivers on the road weren't of any help at all. They kept honking me! I panicked,BIG TIME.. And my car stopped several time. Sh*t. F*ck. I felt stewpid..

Then,I just followed wherever my instructor wanted me to go. We passed through several traffic lights, went to a very narrow alley (where a big red truck came out of nowhere and I had to reverse my car) and got stuck in a jam where my car died. All in a day's lesson.. Well,just pray that I'll survive this terrifying course and come back to Malaysia in one piece. Please,I need all your prayers right now.. And I mean,NOW!!!

But anyway,I think I'll make it. I hope. So,those of you who are having or are about to have your holiday,ENJOY! And to those who are still having exams, ALL THE BEST! Lotsa LOVE from Makassar~ XOXO

1 comment:

hazelnut said...

i didn't know you have to step on the clutch to start the car either! O.o