Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The other side of Food

Given the choice to either clean the house or cook, I would definitely opt for vacuuming and mopping. I never had the passion for baking and cooking although ironically, I love to eat. Yes, I do help my mum prepare the ingredients for lunch and dinner but that’s as far as it gets. The closest to preparing a meal that I have done so far is cooking rice and maggi noodles.
*Don’t laugh*


Unfortunately or fortunately for me, living 5 days a week at Intec without coming home has made done the unthinkable… COOK!!!

Believe it or not, just a few weeks back I actually fried an omelette for the first time in my life though it turned out a bit too salty and ‘nicely brown’ (I won’t admit it was slightly burnt even when my housemates told me so).



Surprisingly, I found it quite fun to cook in my unit as my mum’s not there to nag and tell me that I’ve messed the kitchen. By the way, that’s another reason why I stay away from my mum’s territory, the kitchen at home. And Hazel, you could give me some tips on cooking next time, your potato salad sure does look yummy.



I even tried my luck and went ahead with scrambled eggs. Tip : Don’t ever use powdered milk cause it makes the eggs taste weirdly sweet, preferably UHT or fresh milk instead and using butter instead of canola oil makes it taste even more yummier. My poor housemates were my experimental guinea pigs who tried my cooking and gave critical comments. Haha… luckily not of them died from food poisoning =)



After a few failed attempts with the rice turning out too soggy or slightly grainy due to it being a little uncooked, I’ve actually successfully managed to cook fried rice, rice with baked cheese and even mini pocket pizza (using a bread toaster of course).



I’m not going to put up any pictures cause honestly I fail miserably at trying to make the food look tasty and appetizing. However, I’ll substitute the pictures of the meals I prepared with these instead :











2 comments:

hazelnut said...

I can't fry rice either =P

yihui said...

me neither! :D baked cheese rice! aahhh... haha I tried frying rice the other day with a packet of flavouring that I brought from Malaysia. So happy and excited to taste nasi goreng kampung manatau the packet was for 4 servings. Whoopsie XD