Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Singapore In Pictures

Just last weekend, I was in Singapore to participate in the Singapore Debate Open, my first international tournament. Our bus left at 7.30 a.m. in the morning on Friday morning and we didn't arrive in Singapore 'til around 12.30 p.m. The tournament didn't start 'til Saturday, so we still had half a day to spend as tourists as opposed to debaters.

First things first, we gotta find a place that sells halal food for lunch after a strenuous Friday morning bus journey...

Brother Latiff (our head trainer - on the left) knows this place in Little India that sells Bangladeshi food.

They serve really good mutton.

It was pretty good. According to Brother Latiff, it's ALMOST like the food from back home. (He's from Bangladesh. Go figure.)

Afterwards, we got back to our hotel to refresh and prepare ourselves for our afternoon tour of the city. Camwhore!

That's me and Asyraf. He was my team captain for the Royal Intervarsity Debate Competition held the week before.

Me and Arinah, someone I consider as the big sister of the group. She was the one who took the picture of me and Asyraf.

Once we had enough of our break, it's time to hit the streets!

Some of them have really weird names. For instance:

Me, Habib, Khadijah & Arinah.

But the fun part was the bazaar on Bugis Street. Super crowded, hectic and chock full of knick knacks. Didn't buy anything though (not very surprising considering the exchange rate).

Asyraf with Tasneem, a senior debater. She'll be going to the World Debate Competition in Turkey at the end of this year. Rock on!

Super-cute T-shirts. Would probably find cheaper versions in KL. Anyone know where to find 'em here?

Notice how that sign is right above Habib's head.

Look! Something we'd never find in a Malaysian bazaar!!!

So we went inside. Us girls got freaked out by the *ahem* 'sizeable' expectations (interpret that however you will) they had on sale and quickly went out.

After scoping out Bugis Street, we decided to continue on with our journey.

This time, Arinah's cousin, Adila - in the middle - who was in S'pore too, decided to join us.

A view of the mosque at Arab Street. Arinah's the model, Asyraf's the photographer.

Me & Tasneem.

Really cool triangular building. Lily, do you know it's name?

The view from behind the Fullerton Hotel. Unfortunately, I didn't take any shots of the Fullerton Hotel, which is an absolutely beautiful building by the way.

Another view from behind the Fullerton Hotel.

We went to a bunch of other places after that - like the church where we had an old lady try to convert us to the way of Jesus; we wanted to go to a synagogue as well but ran out of time - but by then my camera got a bit schizophrenic so I temporarily stopped taking pictures for the day. When I get some more pictures, I'll be sure to share them here.

Come competition day, I was too preoccupied to keep taking pictures. But I did take this one. Lily? Are you reading this? You might find this one particularly interesting...

The one on the left is Kamal. The one on the right is Zuhri. Yes, I know Zuhri looks weird here. It ain't my fault that he decided to pull a face when I took this shot! He has better pics, I promise you. Those lucky ducks got selected for the international comptetition in Turkey. If only Kamal didn't rank higher than me, then I would be the one flying off to Turkey next week. Haih.

Needless to say, my partner, Shafiq and I didn't manage to break into the quarter-finals. We had a good run though. However, team Tasneem and Ervina (another trainer) managed to qualify. It was an open debate, so even trainers could participate. They even managed to get into the finals! Sadly in the end, they lost out to NUS's Ashok and Sathya (I hope I spelled his name right) even though many people thought Tasneem and Ervina should've won, I kid you not.

Here are the motions:

(Prelims)
Round 1: THW ban singles from becoming parents
Round 2: THW punish poachers and traders of endangered species in the same way as murderers
Round 3: THW cap executive compensation for all publicly listed companies
Round 4: THBT the United States should support and recognise a unilateral declaration of independence by the Palestinian Authority

Quarters: THW establish a quota for parliamentary elections for candidates under the age of 35
Semis: THBT the Western world should intervene in support of the student-led protests in Iran
Finals: THW ban parents from indoctrinating their children with their religion

THW = This House Would
THBT = This House Believes That


Anyway! I'm getting ahead of myself here. The quarters, semis and finals didn't happen 'til Sunday. On Saturday night, Ervina, Asyraf, Arinah and myself decided to celebrate Ervina's break in to quarters by feasting on chilli crabs! (We also wanted to make it up to her for not having dinner at Maxwell Street food court the night before - too much pork served there)

Introducing the Chilli Crabs from a restaurant at Geylang!

Sedap. Sangat sedap.


Are you drooling yet?

(Pay no attention to my antics in this second video.)


Yes, the crab did not die in vain at all.

Oh, yes. It was fun.

Alas, our trip ended on Sunday evening with the announcement of the champions and promised Facebook invitations. As a closing to this short but memorable escapade, we took a stroll along Orchard Road - with our suitcases in tow. What to do?! We already checked out of the hotel in the morning!!!

Yes, I know it's blurry.

'Til my next post, bye all! :)

3 comments:

lily said...

The lights along orchard road sure is pretty.. ah, i miss 'em so much. It's the first time i'll not be spending christmas in s'pore.. thanks for bringing the lights to me visually even if it's a little blurry :)
& yea, fullerton's really grand especially at nite when the lights are on.. went in once & couldn't close my mouth.. it used to be a post office during the British colonization.. let's bunk there one day ;)

yihui said...

Nice! Sounds like you're enjoying uni life. Too bad no Turkey but you'll probably make it next year. ;D That'd be so awesome.

Jian Wei Ang said...

OMG I miss Satya!! The last time I met him was in Bangkok during World Unis! =)