Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Autumn

In the beginning, all was bright and sunny and the temperature hovered around 15 °C. Then came the extremely foggy and dreary day...


After which the temperature plunged to a chilly 0-10°C...


And then autumn was here! Season of the red and yellow dying leaves...



And fruit-bearing apple trees...

Hmm... Do my eyes deceive me? Is this autumn? And the news said that cities in south Germany were experiencing their first snowfalls. And Freiburg is in the south! Oh my, are we slow or what.


Anyway, on one of those dark and dreary days I went to IKEA. (Sorry no pictures of IKEA, but you already know how IKEA looks like right?)


And then just as we were leaving, hailstones fell from the sky!



Like fat little Santas jumping and bouncing off the ground...



And then after that I visited my first flea market! Didn't buy anything (waste of my three euros) but if you're really looking, you could probably get really good deals here... Like a winter coat for four euros or something. Plus you get a stamp on the back of your palm in the shape of a key!


The flea market was held at the grounds of a mini fair and this giant distant relative of ours was grinning creepily down at us at the entrance. Poser!



They also have this ride called the "Revolution". This video was taken during the tamest part of the ride, it goes round and round like that many many times and then during the last round it spins the passengers 360° four times on the way down. *shivers*

And finally, here are some random photos.



Hmph. Unsightly tram/electric lines.


Neighbour's house looking quite autumn-ly with the red and yellow creeper plants...



Proof of cold weather. See the mist in the background? At times like these the 10-minute walk up the hill to our house seems extra brutal, especially with the cold wind slaughtering our faces. But then the moment you step into the house and feel your face thawing and your specs clouding up in the warmth... Ahh, priceless.

In other news, first two weeks of first semester has been fine. I have so far survived three successive piano classes with Frau Chen with no nervous breakdowns! The class schedule is proving to be a bit of a problem though. It's slowly becoming a trend for me to agree on a time slot with Frau C then go home/out, THEN remember I have another class at that time, then double back/send a text to ask to change the class time. Haish. Blame the birdy brain la.

I have also been missing Malaysian food. But my cooking is improving! We have a wider choice of dishes now, and the alternative of eating at Hao Zi's place once in a while. Heh.

And! Now that I'm here I realize it's good to be able to speak Chinese cos of the large number of Taiwanese students here. But when I speak to them I feel the pressure to make my Chinese sound 'nicer' or more proper, and then it feels so unnatural. Manglish, my loyalty will forever lie with you.

And! I have had no news from you people for a while. What's up? Post here laa. Or at least short snippets on Facebook. Yesh, I've become a Facebook stalker lately.

Hope you're all enjoying your form6/college/uni lives! And good luck to all those taking their finals now.

=)

3 comments:

yihui said...

You had hailstones?! Guess I shouldn't complain about the slush/snow that we had yesterday then. XD But still.. It's October!

hazelnut said...

Wah you had snow?? Lucky you! Duno when ours is coming... Woohoo hope hope. =D

You might be having snow for around four months though! Hahahaha.

yihui said...

Haha I hope not that long!
The weather's been gila actually. Snow one day, 18 degrees the next. I've walking around in tshirt and jeans again. But looks like Friday's gonna be bad Temp rang 5-9. Brrrrr....